The benefits of having a dog as a companion:
- Owning a dog may keep you fit and active
- It could improve your social life
- Dogs reduce stress and depression
- Dogs give your life meaning and purpose
- Studies show that dog owners have healthier hearts
- Having a pet in your home can lower the likelihood of a child developing allergies to pets
- Dog owners experience fewer health problems
- Dogs make you feel secure and safe
Why adoption is the best option:
There simply are not enough homes in this world for homeless cats and dogs. One major way to make sure all of these animals have homes is by choosing adoption over supporting breeders and puppy mills. Approximately 7.6 million animals enter shelters across the country each year. 3.9 million of them are dogs needing forever homes. While shelters across America are consistently full of homeless animals, dog breeders and puppy mills continue to focus on the dollar rather than lives. The less people purchase animals from breeders the more we can help decrease the pet overpopulation and the number of animals euthanized. Because these numbers are so high, 1.5 million shelter animals are euthanized each year. When you adopt a dog from a shelter you are not only saving the life of that animal but many more. When you open up a kennel inside a shelter that allows the shelter to bring in more animals and save more lives! Now, once you do that tell all your friends and family how awesome your experience was and how great your shelter dog is!
Different ways to help your local animal shelter:
Can’t adopt or maybe your house is full? There are so many ways you can still help a shelter dog find a home!